Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ode to a Kindergarten Rug
By N. Winchel


ALSO - Can be sung as a BLUES song. So get out your guitar!!!

Chorus: (Teach this to your audience and have them repeat.)

Rug time, Rug time - Oh ! It was such a fun time.
Rug time, Rug time - Oh ! It wasn’t such a long time. (2x)

or

Rug time, Rug time - (t’was) / was such a fun time.
Rug time, Rug time - (twasn’t) / wasn’t such a long time. (2x)- sing to the tune of “ Twinkle Twinkle Little Star



Stanza 1

I am the lonely rug, all solitary and bored.
At one time I was merry, and now I am ignored.
Oh!!! How I look back on, Oh!!! I beg your pardon.
As I think of those days- as “a rug in Kindergarten”.

The third grade all sit - in chairs at their tables.
As Ms. Crabtree reads from Test Prep,- and Aesop’s Fables.
They are told to sit quietly (SHHHH!!!!!) - and don’t move (CREAK!!!) in your seat.
Through – Multiplication and Fundation drills – that they nervously (AHHH!!! UMMM!!) repeat.

(What are other words that show sounds?)

Chorus:
Rug time, Rug time - (t’was) / was such a fun time.
Rug time, Rug time - (twasn’t) / wasn’t such a long time. (2x)- sing to the tune of “ Twinkle Twinkle Little Star


Next Stanza

I was the one who helped them – learn their ABC’s.
The Alphabet around my edges- and a map’s geography.
All 50 States including Hawaii and Alaska,
Texas, Maine, Rhode Island, New Mexico, and Nebraska.

(What States Rhyme?)

Next Stanza

Helen was on H, Joshua was on J,
Laura’s spot was L, Kay’s spot was K.
Roy was on R, Ellen was on E,
Will’s spot was W, Zachary’s spot was Z.

(What other letters rhyme?)
( ***Also you can substitute the names and letters of your classmates as long as it rhymes and fits)
Chorus:
Next Stanza

They would all come together to listen to a book,
Read aloud by Ms. Crabtree- n’ keeps them in line – with a stern-friendly look.
They would all come together- many dittys (songs) they would sing,
“ If You’re Happy and You Know It” -& “A Few of My Favorite Things”.
Tunes about The Seasons, The Months, and The Days of the Week.
As they sat at the rug, and at the SMARTBOARD they would peek.

Their voices sound so reminiscent, as I hold back my tears,
Gosh!!! Voices sounding more mature, Now, its been close to 3 years.
Ms. Crabtrees’ still their teacher, the 3rd grade she now teaches,
I try to make out their familiar voices- my ears- their sound reaches.

(Why does the author use the phrase ‘n?)

Chorus:

“It’s been nearly 3 months in 3rd grade – in the corner of this room,
Where the custodian sometimes stops by and says hello with a vacuum or a broom.
But the kids like Helen seldom visit, they must stay at their table and chairs,
Staring at the blackboard- some with blank stares.

Chorus:

“Oh Hooray Yes !!! I hear the voice of Helen with an H and Joshua- They’re walking nearer.
Wait a minute!!! Sounds like Ellen with an E – their voices sounding clearer.”
Bringing books like Charlotte’s Web and Sarah, Plain and Tall,
Oh!!! How I hope they’re coming- I hope so!! One and all”

(What are other expressive words like “Wow” that we can substitute?)

Chorus:

“Yippee!!! It’s Joshua with a J as he says “Okay!!- and finds his favorite spot to go,
-And a new student to me and the class- whose name I do not know.
Helen with an H assures me, She says “I’m back old friend, for a silent read”

My Suggestion: Ms. Crabtree must have heard my crying pleas, I am so glad I planted the seed

(Now, its time for you to add or finish the story? What rhymes with read? (seed, feed, bead,deed, greed, heed,lead,need,seed,
Indeed,agreed,freed…)
Add a sentence- Add a stanza- Add a few stanzas- What happens next? Add another episode. (My Suggestion: Ms. Crabtree must have heard my crying pleas, I am so glad I planted the seed

No comments:

Post a Comment